Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Standing Up for the Marlins

So my youngest son and I went to the Indy 500 (and heard the Archbishop of Indianapolis pray for a Pacer victory that Sunday night). After the race, we hung around the parking lot for a while waiting for the traffic (300,000 people) to clear, and a guy with a Pacer T-shirt and a Cubs cap spotted my Marlins cap.

"Going to the Heat game tonight?" he asked.

"No," I said, "My team is a Double A baseball team."

"Aw, they're not even that," he said.

"Yes, they are," I said. "They're a pretty decent AA team." I paused, looked at his smug expression, and added: "But you have to feel sorry for us Marlins fans. It's been 10 years since we won a World Series."

That shut him up.

As of Wednesday morning, the Marlins are 13-39. The losing-est team in baseball history, the 1962 New York Mets, who lost 120, at this point were 15-37.

No comments: